Wednesday 26 December 2012

Troll queen

Troll queen is my first serious attempt in creating depth and shadow without the use of colour (paint). I used an article by Harley Refsal in Woodcarving Illustrated Spring 2011 for the basic pattern and to learn the rules of Scandinavian flat plane carving. Harley is  a member of the Caricature Carvers of America http://www.cca-carvers.org/

Wood: Lime (Tilia x europea)

Height: 13 cms

Finish: Linseed oil and beeswax


My goal was to achieve simplicity, and hopefully some speed since all previous work had been relatively slow going with me getting too involved with detail. The flat plane carving was done with an American style carving knife tailored to fit my hand (see later post). A cross section of an arm, the body or head should resemble an octagon, with shadows created by deeper cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment